On weekend evenings, my husband often bakes bread. Among the varieties of bread he makes, Focaccia bread is one of our favorite breads at our home. Focaccia is simple but flavorful Italian bread. Some people may imagine the bread as a thin and a fluffy type of bread, when they think of Focaccia, but this one is rather dense and has a chewy texture. It is almost similar to the bread sticks you purchase at the pizza restaurants in the U.S. Focaccia can also be served with the dipping sauce just like the bread sticks. My favorite sauce, among many, would be a simple garlic sauce: chopped garlic with the olive oil. Just add some minced garlic into the olive oil and soak for a few hours. When the bread is done baking, dip the bread into the sauce, or brush it on top of the bread while the bread is still warm. Marinara sauce will sure to go well with this bread as well. In any case, the bread will make a great appetizer or a snack.
4 cups of bread flour
1 tablespoon salt
1 package dry east
1 1/4 cup of water
1 1/2 cup of warm water
1/3 cup of Olive oil
1/2 teaspoon of sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 425F
2. Combine warm water, dry yeast, and sugar in the cup and set it aside.
3. In a bowl, combine flour salt and 3/1 cup of olive oil and mix until combine.
4. Add yeast mix into the dry ingredients and mix them for 4minutes.
5. Tip the dough out onto the lightly floured surface and knead for 6 minutes.
6. Then, put the dough back to the bowl and rest it for 1 hour.
7. After an hour, punch the air out of the dough and knead for additional 4 minutes until the dough becomes smooth and pliable.
8. Rest the dough for another 20?30 minutes.
9. Line a baking sheet. Tip the dough out onto the lightly floured surface of the counter and roll out the dough into 1inch thickness. Sprinkle with the salt water and the remaining olive oil.
10. Then, using the knife, prick the top of the dough all over.
11. Sprinkle the top with garlic powder, basil and salt.
12. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
Insider Art & Design Co. Ltd.
Copyright © 2008 All rights reserved.