This dessert is served in many restaurants in Japan. Many of you may never have intended to try, especially for those who are not a big fan of coffee. Don’t hesitate to try it. It is one of the most delicious and refreshing desserts, which you will be definitely able to enjoy.
If you became a fan of this dessert, you should try making it at home, especially when you have left over coffee, which I tend to have every morning, in the coffee pot. This dessert should be made 2 to 3 hours prior to serving, since it needs to be set in the refrigerator. Enjoy!
2 cups of strongly brewed hot coffee. Espresso makes the best result.
(Instant coffee can be added, if needed) 1/4 cup of sugar (if you are planning on putting sweets as its topping, you may use less sugar for the gelatin desert)
1tsp heavy cream/ or a scoop of Vanilla Ice Cream
1 package of plain gelatin powder for cooking. Note: I normally use Knox brand plain gelatin for this dessert.
? cup: cold water.
1. Pour gelatin and cold water in the cup and let gelatin soak for 5 to 10 minutes until it absorbs water.
2. Brew coffee or Espresso coffee. Make it stronger than regular morning coffee. The aroma of the coffee will make a big difference when dessert is done. Stronger and thicker coffee tends to derive strong and brilliant aroma of coffee. (It you have enough coffee left in the coffee pot, heat the coffee before you go into the next step. Do not boil the coffee when you heat it.)
3. In the hot coffee, add sugar and gelatin. Stir them until the sugar and gelatin dissolve completely. (You may add Instant coffee, if needed.)
4. Pour in the palette (or baking sheet) and put it in the refrigerator for 4 to 5 hours until dessert is completely firm.
5. The tip to remove gelatin from the case: Soak the bottom of the gelatin pan in the bowl of hot water. Gelatin on the bottom will become loose and easily be removed from the pan.
6. Cut it into 1 inch cubes. Place in the serving bowl, and garnish the top with Vanilla Ice Cream or unsweetened heavy cream. (Flavored coffee cream and Cool Whip will go well with it, too!).
Note: I enjoy this coffee gelatin dessert on a bowl of corn flakes cereal and atop with vanilla ice cream and cool whip.
Insider Art & Design Co. Ltd.
Copyright © 2008 All rights reserved.