The winter in Misawa has finally subsided, and the hours of sunlight are becoming longer each day. When the asparagus comes out on the surface of the ground, it becomes clear to us that spring has finally arrived. One of the dishes I prepare annually with this delicious vegetable is called Asparagus Meat Roll. It is sure to make a great munching dish for a party, or it may perhaps be added as an after school snack for children. If you are not a big fan of bread, you can omit the bread dough. It is still tasty without the bread around them. At my home, this dish without the bread is served with salad or rice. Enjoy!
1 Package: Thinly sliced beef, thinly sliced pork, or bacon: purchase the thinly sliced meat and cut into long strips.
2 Bundles of Asparagus: Place asparagus in the skillet with the boiling water and a pinch of salt. Cook until crisp and tender. Drain and set aside.
1 Package: Refrigerated bread dough of any kind. (I prefer to use croissant dough)
2/1 Cup: Shredded Cheese
1 tsp: Butter or olive oil
2 tbsp: Soy sauce
1 tbsp: Sake (rice wine)
Salt & Pepper: optimal amount
1. Roll out the bread dough and cut into thin (about an inch thick) strips.
2. Wrap a strip of thinly cut meat of your choice around the asparagus.
3. In a skillet, add oil and place the asparagus wrapped in the meat. Bake them until the meat is cooked thoroughly.
4. Add soy sauce, sake, salt, and black pepper.
5. Remove them from the skillet, put on a plate and let cool.
6. Take a bread dough strip and sprinkle the cheese on top.
7. Place the cooked asparagus with meat on the bread strip and wrap, starting from the one end and finish at the other end.
8. Place the asparagus roll on the baking sheet and bake until the top turns brown.
10. Cut them into bite size pieces and serve.
Insider Art & Design Co. Ltd.
Copyright © 2008 All rights reserved.